Friday, February 22, 2019

Effectively using CRM Configuration Migration for Dynamic 365 CRM


I came to know about CRM Configuration Migration utility by Dynamic 365 CRM. When creating a schema it literary allowed me to select any entity for data migration. I started feeling delighted.

Without wasting a single second, I gave it a try. I tested data migration from one CRM instance to other. The records were failing to get imported. There were n number of reasons for this and step by step I figure out how to correctly use the tool for effective data migration.

Here are some tips, which I found truly effective. You can check my another blogs for tips - https://vjcity.blogspot.com/2019/02/crm-configuration-migration-not.html


Migrate ONLY Primary Key and then migrate rest of the data for an entity.

Let’s say, we want to migrate Account data from one CRM instance to another.
The key is to first select only Primary Key (Accountid) when creating a schema.


Save the Schema and data file as show below.



Now Import the data with only Account Id (Guid), you will notice there is no failure and count of Target and Source gets matched.


Now, the next step is to export schema again for the same entity but with all of its attributes.


Save the Schema and data file as show below.



Now run the import and this time instead of creating fresh record, Utility will noticed Guid already exists and it automatically try to run the UPDATE command. 


This time, I see no error and all my data copied like an exact copy :)

Regards,
Vipin Jaiswal
Vipinjaiswal12@gmail.com

No comments: